- This program has passed.
Sat, Aug 20, 10:00am – 3:00pmFree
Welcome to the joyous world of dance! Yerba Buena Gardens Festival and Rhythm & Motion present YBG Festival’s Dance Day! Yerba Buena Gardens transforms into an outdoor dance center where participants can sample dance in a variety of forms and flavors with some of the Bay Area’s most talented teachers. Classes are one-hour long and genres include salsa, bachata, body percussion, rhythm & motion, soul line dance, contemporary dance, dancehall and more. At midday, dancers are invited to the communal outdoor dance floor with live music from Son Chévere playing a distinctive blend of traditional Cuban son, bolero, changuí and cha cha cha.
Whether you are new to dance or a seasoned professional, Yerba Buena Gardens Dance Day is open to everyone! Bring comfortable shoes, a water bottle and your curiosity for movement – stay for an hour or the full day. Invite friends and family! This is your day to dance!
SCHEDULE: (Check back for more! Schedule subject to change.)
- 10am Rhythm & Motion Fusion with Jillian Wasick (East Garden)
- 10am West African Guinean with Naby Bangoura and live drummers (Esplanade)
- 11:15am Bachata with Monica Ascencio (East Garden)
- 11:15am Soul Line Dancing with Chocolate Platinum (East Plaza)
- 12:30pm Performance Pop with Damien Beard (East Garden)
- 12:30pm open dance floor with live music by Son Chévere (Esplanade)
- 1:45pm Dancehall with Aimee Zawitz (Esplanade)
- 1:45pm Intro to Cuban Salsa & Rueda with Sidney Weaverling and Ryan Mead (East Garden)
- 1:45pm Hip Hop Jazz with Rena Marie Guidry (East Plaza)
Registration encouraged but not required.