- This program has passed.
Outdoor Dance Classes with Rhythm & Motion
Sat, Aug 15, 2020, 9:00am – 1:00pm
Yerba Buena Gardens Festival and Rhythm & Motion invite you to join us for small group (and socially distanced) dance classes for FREE at the beautiful Yerba Buena Gardens. For over 40 years, Rhythm & Motion has provided the joy, intensity and skill of dance to the public in welcoming atmospheres through its classes, events and community-minded programming. We are excited to bring people together (safely) and to work with Rhythm & Motion to re-energize the Gardens with music and dance.
Rhythm & Motion (R&M) is an addictive follow-along class that is inspired by vocabulary and a soundtrack of songs from across the globe. Classes are taught by experienced dancers and performing artists that all emphasize the joyful spirit and open expressiveness of dance in its many forms. All levels and abilities are welcome to join.
Class schedule, descriptions and safety precautions below. More class and safety information is on the REQUIRED registration page.
Classes are one hour. Wear comfortable clothing that you can easily move in and supportive shoes suitable for moving on concrete. Bring water, wear sunscreen (the areas we’ll be dancing in do not have shade) and your sense of joy and connection. All dancers and teachers are REQUIRED to wear a face covering for the ENTIRE class (face shields alone are not sufficient). You will be required to maintain social distance from others for the protection of yourself and fellow participants.
East Garden Classes
9:00-10:00am: Rhythm & Motion Fusion
10:30-11:30am: Rhythm & Motion Fusion
12:00-1:00pm: Tropicali Dancehall
Upper Terrace Classes
9:00-10:00am: Rhythm & Motion Modern
12:00-1:00pm: West African Guinean
R&M Fusion is our original fast-paced, follow-along format. Classes begin with a warm-up that emphasizes techniques from many dance forms, and builds to high energy dancing to increases stamina and strength.
R&M Modern is rooted in contemporary and modern dance vocabulary. Class begins with a slow tempo warm-up influenced by modern dance vocabulary, and builds to higher energy lyrical, full-body movement for stamina and strength.
Tropicali Dancehall with Aimee Zawitz is a class which teaches a fusion of Jamaican Dancehall with a California (SF) twist – a mix of dance influences; hip hop, house, Afro-Haitian, and Afro-Cuban. The class works on some of the newest dance moves from the streets of Jamaica and learn some short choreographies. The class also works on getting the groove, feeling the music, and just dancing to sweet Jamaican music. http://www.aimeerosedance.com/
Samba with Raffaella Falchi engages your mind, body & spirit while learning the fundamentals of several Brazilian styles of dance and rhythms . Each dance style is broken down step by step. This class will focus on learning basics of Samba in a fun and safe environment. Absolute beginners are welcome. https://www.facebook.com/sambaxe/
West African Guinean with Naby Bangoura. In these classes you will experience the traditional rhythms, dances, and songs of Guinea. You will also learn the meaning of the different rhythms and their accompanying songs and dances. Some of the rhythms/ dances we will explore are used for weddings, baby-naming ceremonies, and circumcision rituals. The class begins with a warm-up, followed with across the floor choreography and concludes with an improvisational dance circle around the drummers.
Each R&M class will be team-taught by two instructors from this roster: https://www.rhythmandmotion.com/instructors
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS RELATED TO COVID-19
- Please do not attend this event if you, or someone in your household, has been exposed to COVID-19, or experienced any related symptoms in the last 14 days. Symptoms include, but are not limited to loss of smell, fever, fatigue, dry cough, difficulty breathing
- Please bring your own mask. Masks are required at all times during the class. If you must unmask yourself during class, the teacher or volunteer will point you to a safe location where you can do so.
- There will be plenty of room to dance and participants will be required to maintain a minimum of 6 feet away from other people. (We will mark spaces 10 feet apart for good measure.)
- Your temperature will be taken upon entering the dance space.
- Per San Francisco orders, no more than 12 people are allowed to participate in an organized group activity. This will help us maintain social distance within our dance space.
- Please protect yourself and others by following all safety procedures at this event. Violation of these procedures will be cause for removal from the event space.